Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Stay In London

So I leave London tomorrow morning and since I have not blogged pretty much at all since I have been here this will cover most of my stay, please forgive any discrepancies.

I managed to visit quite a lot when I was in London, the list of places was,The London Eye, Tower Bridge, Hampton Courts, Tower of London, Globe Theatre, and Kew Gardens.
The tops of the list have to go to the things I was expecting, the Tower of London was super awsome, the Crown Jewels are on display here and looking at the jewels and thinking about there value was super fun. Some of the largest cut diamonds in the world are housed at the Tower of London so that was a treat.
Secondly, the Globe Theatre, its next to to the Tate Modern which really dwarfs it, it looks really funny but its cool to think that the reconstruction is so close to where the original stood. The plays had unfortunately ended so I was only able to take the standard tour, not see an actual play preformed. Still the theatre itself is col and pretty small especially when you think of how many people would have been cramed into it during Shakespears time.
The last is Kew Gardens, something I managed to put off until my final day in London. Don't get me wrong its not like I didn't want to go, as a matter of fact its what I was looking foreard to the most but I just kinda kept putting it off. Kew Gardens was something kinda special for me though, my family visited it both time we traveled to England and now I got to go on my own. When I first walked through the doors I almost immediatly noticed that I was having kinda crazy deja vu, I remembered the pathway to Kews most recognizable greenhouse and when I got to a certain had this crazy flashback to like an 8 year old me standing at the same spot under this giant bannanna plant and looking up into its giant leaves. It was really cool.
Alright, a little back story for those who dont know. Kew Gardens is the Royal Botanical Gardens of England, it was started over 250 years ago and holds 1 in 8 known plant species. Nowadays Kew is mostly a dedicated to preserving plant species as well as some research on plants.
For me the place was really nostalgic, I really enjoyed the walk around the gardens and I got a ton of great photos, I took around 150 shots all over the garden and they have all been uploaded to my Flickr account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macandcheese240/
The day was not a perfect one since it was overcast the whole day and began to rain near when I left the gardens but I was used to it since Portland has much the same weather. I was also dissappointed to find that they did not have seeds of any cool plants for sale at any of the shops. On our first family trip to Kew my dad bought, Bannanna seeds and Bird of Paradise seeds. The Bannanna died and had to be replaced but the Bird of Paradise survived we have two plants and just got flowers from them for the first time. They have a seven year period where it grows before starting to flower yearly. Anyway got a little off topic but no exotic seeds this time, I had wanted to get some for my dad as a gift.
So that pretty much sums up my time in London, tomorrow I hop a plane from Gatwick airport to Madrid so my next posts will come direct from Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment