Thursday, October 8, 2009

Madrids Royal Palace

SO my big draw for today was the Royal Palace of Madrid, the palace contains the main rooms for the old royal family, a reconstruction of the medicine house, and an armoury. I first visited the medicine house, it had been destroyed during a fire and had to e rebuilt. It contained all of the instruments and materials for creating medicine, it had reconstructions of all the glasses and pottery with labels for all of the medicinal supplies that it would have contained. The rooms displayed to some degree the changes of the medicine through the years. The rooms also contained all the tools used for the medicine. That was a pretty small part of the whole Palace area but interesting that it was contained within the walls of the Royal Palace, guess the kind gets the best healthcare. Next I hit up the main Palace, it was the residence of the old Royal family and as you might think it was crazy. The main entrance was this huge with the family crest right in front of you as you walked up the stairs and above on the ceiling was a huge painting. I got to see all the main roms, bedrooms, dining room, the parlour like area. They all had huge chandeliers that got more complex the closer you got to the living room. They also had a room filled with silver that the royal family had used or in that same style. The best room for me was the Porcelain room, its walls and ceiling were made completely of porcelain with intricate designs in porcelain done to cover the cracks where pieces met. The whole room was so amazing and felt really fragile.
After the main palace I went to the armoury, it was a mix of swords, lances, maces and various pieces of armour, mostly plate mail with some ornamental pieces. They also had early guns, they were mostly large pieces of wood with the firing mechanisms attached to the wood. The stuff was cool but not the bst ive seen and the whole collection was pretty small, speaking of small so was the price tag it was 3.5 Euros, very cheap. I think they may have given me the student discount which I do not qualify for, for those of you wondering why not you need an international student card to get those discounts and for that you must prove you are a full time student, which I no longer am.
So after the cheap royal palace I made my way over to the nearby church, literally right next to the palace and paid 6 Euros to see the churches museum, mostly old churcy stuff, lots of garments and ceremonial staffs with LOTS of gems in them and they were mostly made from silver. The church also offered a great view of the city from the top of its tower, I took some photos but two of the four sides lacked viewing posts and all the sides had a nice plexiglass divider so you could not get closer then 5 feet from the edge. This made getting the photos rather hard but I did try.
Unfortunately for you reading the blog both the inside of the royal palace and the chuch museum would not allow photos so I am afraid I cannot show you the very wonderful things I saw, safe to say though if you are in Madrid, the royal palace especially is a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment