Friday, October 9, 2009

Museums

So today was definitely the museum day for Madrid, I checked out probably the two biggest in the city. I started at the Museuo Del Prado, it housed a ton of paintings (over 3000 the brochure said) and was fairly interesting, I say fairly because there are only so many paintings that one man wants to see. Anyway the paintings were fairly old, lots of paintings of old royal families and the likes. There were also paintings of scenery and some of animals, lots of dead animals heaped over tables. They were very interesting but I was struck by something while I was in the museum. The back of the brochure had all the paintings in the museum that were considered masterpieces and I noticed this about halfway through and I realized that without that piece of paper telling me they were masterpieces I would never have know. So then what makes them so amazing if they dont stand out to me, I just saw a painting, maybe a little better then most but I didn't see them and go "ohh thats a masterpiece". Just a thought.
After making my way through the Prado I went to the nearby Museo Reina Sopia, it was much more modern art and I though that I would really enjoy it but the art did not really resonate with me. I spent around an hour wandering through the museum before heading to the small garden they had in the middle and relaxing for another 15 minutes. I found that most of the art seemed very boring and I went through very quickly and did not care to much, there was the occasional piece that would catch my attention but for me at least it was not worth the cost.
The overall day was okay for me, I grabbed a snack before I went to walk around the town a little, its very nice, the streets look cool and there are a LOT of tapas places everywhere. Also during the day theree were fighter jets that flew over the city, I am fairly sure that they flew over the city like 4 times, it was cool.
So ends my time in another city im moving on to Barcelona tomorrow and then I spend saturday, sunday, and Monday there.

No comments:

Post a Comment