Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Last Few Days

So I haven't written anything for a while and i's really sorry since I said this would be a daily thing but anyway. Please excuse it if you notice anything that breaks the time-space continuum since its kind of blurring together in my head.

Roman Ruins-Day
So basically we all loaded into the car and we drove down to a set of roman ruins that were somewhat in the area. So we went down there and we looked around. There was a set of sort of pantheon like columns and after we walked around the area before going to the nearby museum that encompassed also an old roman bath along with descriptions in German and our hosts very thoughtfully translated the German for us. The remainder of the museum was about the area where the ruins where through time as well as some of the roman fashions, amour and such and currency and then moving into fashions as time moved on. After the museum we went back out and checked out the Colosseum they had built nearby. It was really cool and you could go inside and hear the echo and reverb as you spoke. It also seemed like the area for contenders was smaller when you were in the center of the area. It was really weird, after that we went back to the house.

Chilling-Day 2
Basically I chilled I the house for a day, I watched a lot of videos and planned some of my time and travel in The Netherlands.

Traveling-Day 3
This was when I hopped a train and split up with my aunt and uncle and left Sarah and Detlef's house and went into Arnhem, it's a small town near the the border with Germany. I basically got off the train and got kinda lost finding the train I needed to get on. Got on the right train and made it to the biggest landmark near my Youth hostel, a hospital and it was pretty easy to get to the hostel from there. Unfortunately it was 2ish and I only really had one thing planned and it required a full day so I ended up watching videos and reading at the hostel then going to bed early.
Also the StayOkay Hostels which tend to be the main hostels you find around the Netherlands are kind of bland and they don't really have anything super nice going on especially in the bedroom areas.

Going Biking-Day 4
So I got up around 8:30 and ate a nice breakfast (included in the hostels price) and by 9:30 I was out the door going to De Hoge VeLuwe National Park, basically its a really nice park where you pay 7 Euros or 14 for the park and museum. They had white bikes you could use for free so I grabbed one and biked for a few hours then went into the museum with a ton of cool paintings. They had a lot of Van Gogh's they said around 300. It was pretty amazing, they had two long halls of just Van Gogh's. I had a nice cup of hot chocolate and a piece of cake. Then I went back out and biked around for about another hour. Also I got lost both on the way to the park and on the way back. Since this was really the only thing I had to do around Arnhem I plan on moving on to Rotterdam next and then onto Amsterdam on either Saturday evening or more likely Sunday morning.

Also I am working on uploading photos right now so please bear with me, you should be able to see my 400ish photos soon

Thank Yous
So the whole Germany thing was really cool, I really need to send a BIG thank you to Sarah and Detlef for letting me stay in there house for so long, it was really enjoyable and they had a lovely house.
Also thank you to my aunt Carol and uncle Mike since they paid for me for the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment