Saturday, September 26, 2009

Rotterdam Museums

So today was really my exploration day for me in Rotterdam, first I had a nice breakfast at the hostel which was great and I felt good even though they had music beating way into the night (dont get me wrong it was way better then the last place which was oppressivly quiet, it had a god atmosphere). After that I headed out to the Maritime Museum where they had a cool exhibit about how both the sipping industry and sailing industry have evolved as well as the evolution of Rotterdam as a port city, how it went from a strong port city and then began to dwindle after sand bars egan to form and then they created a channel to solve the problem. It really struck me how the Dutch people thought, when they had this problem of nature basically creating a wall of sand instead of giving in and letting the town sort of devolve they said "no well just move the giant sandbars and control the ocean.
Anyway after that I headed down to a art museum in the down town area along the museum park area which is just what it sounds like, a park with three or four museums along the length of the park. Anyway I visited the biggest art museum and I got a pleasant surprise, since I was 18 I got in for FREE, a very good price for a traveller on a budget. Anyway I explored that for another 3 hours or so, they had paintings, drawings, and prints ranging from the early renaissance through modern times, they also had some modern art things containing both older things like glass and silver cook and dish ware and moving all the way up to things like TVs and toasters. After the museum I had a nice coke and brownie in the small cafe at the museum and I picked up a post card for a really cool idea I had. I want to get postcards at all the places U visit and then when I get home I plan on glueing them to a piece of poster paper around the name of the country and maybe city they are from. Hopefully it will be a sort of overview of the sights I saw on my trip.

Anyway the day was good and I still need to go grab some dinner, tomorrow morning I plan on moving on to Amsterdam and then probably trying to visit the Ann Frank house after I arrive and then spend the next two days after that exploring Amsterdam.
I'm still working on getting all my photos up but here is a quick primer of a few of my photos.


One of the Canons from the museum ship at the maritime museum


My bed at the StayOkay Arnhem (the last place I stayed before Rotterdam)

No comments:

Post a Comment